The Yoga Underground teaches a modern, energetic fusion of Ashtanga Yoga, Vinyasa Flow, Pilates, and any other kick-ass exercise we can think of. The Yoga Underground’s classes are designed to leave you feeling strong, lighthearted, open and optimistic. Bottom line: life’s too short to take yourself very seriously!
The Yoga Underground is located at 78 West Center Street in Provo Utah on the top level of the United Studio of Self Defense.
Founded in 2011, to fill Utah Valley's need for an openminded, upbeat, lighthearted, kick-ass yoga studio. TYU welcomes inspiration from wherever it may come, but owes a special thank-you to the late Larry Shultz. We seek mind, body, and spirit refinement through breathing, meditation, and creative Ashtanga sequencing.
Life is Delicious
All teachers have successfully completed a minimum of a 200-hour yoga teacher training program registered with The Yoga Alliance
The Yoga Underground is proud to offer a unique, Yoga Alliance Certified, 200-hour Ashtanga teacher training program that is not available anywhere else! The program will be taught using an experiential philosophy: a majority of the training will take place outdoors, in Utah’s beautiful Provo Canyon. This is a daily, full-immersion program designed to create the best learning and discovering atmosphere possible. Cost $2,000
Through TYU’s teacher training, students will:
- Develop a better understanding of their own practice
- Learn how to facilitate meaningful, well-rounded yoga classes
- Better understand human physical anatomy and energy systems
- Expand their knowledge of yoga philosophies, ethics and lifestyle practices
- Learn how to use yoga philosophies and ideas to better their lives and the lives of those around them
- Have a most supremely awesome time
The Yoga Underground's Yoga School Overview:
200 hours total, 180 with Primary ERYT, Brittany Andrews, including:
100+ hours of asana practice
30+ hours of the philosophies that surround yoga
25+ hours of anatomy and physiology
25+ hours of teaching methodology, including building sequences
20+ hours teaching practice, assisting, and observation
Yoga School is daily; M-F 10am-4pm, Saturdays- times vary
From Owner, Brittany Andrews:
- My trainings are kept extremely small and intimate, I won't train more than 8 people at a time. In my opinion, students deserve a lot of individualized attention when participating in this kind of program. Most programs will take upwards of 25 students, and I think that renders that specific program generally ineffective.
- You will learn how to sequence AND teach a class! It's surprising how many trainings leave these very important factors out...my method involves learning teaching principles and hands-on adjustment principles from the very beginning. And you'll get lots of teaching practice, with such a small group.
- The training can get as advanced as you'd like it to be -- working on basic poses? Great! Looking to nail that handstand? Fantastic! Focused on flexibility? Excellent! I don't divide my trainings into levels, because I think that's highly unnecessary and frankly a waste of your money. (Can't you tell I'm an savvy businesswoman? Ha.) I am happy to work with the students in my trainings, regardless of the "level" they happen to be at the moment.
- Once you've completed the training, you are welcome back for any subsequent trainings, free of charge.
- Lastly, I participate in 100% of my training. It's my favorite thing in the world. A lot of head instructors "outsource" the majority of their teacher trainings to other instructors, but when you sign up to train with me, you're training with me.
In the past year since I participated in YTT at Yoga Underground with Brittany, I frequently have friends, neighbors, and co-workers ask me what I have changed in my life. They sense something is different about me. I seem happier, act calmer, and have a different countenance. Each time I hear this from a friend, I tell him or her "It was YTT...it was life changing." And although the difficult circumstances of my life haven't fully changed, I have been able to make some changes that have helped me find peace and wellbeing. Of course I still have much work to do, but I love what yoga has helped me uncover in myself. I like me, and I haven't always been able to say that in my life. How did YTT get me to this place? Well, it wasn't without some hard work and dedication on my own part, but through yoga Brittany is brilliant at helping others see their potential, their gifts, and their worth. Aside from my changed self, I am loving the opportunity to bring this love of yoga, this passion for uncovering our personal truth to others around me. I came away from YTT completely ready to teach from the music to sequencing. I loved it all, from the study of the Yoga Sutras and the 8 limbs of yoga, to the study of personal meditation, wonderful guest instructors, and practicing in our beautiful outdoors. Even being challenged to reach outside my comfort zone in inversions workshops, and teaching early on in our training was beneficial to my growth in yoga as well as in teaching. I can't recommend this YTT enough! Not only is this program very affordable, but Brittany is very personable and her training well thought out. If you've been thinking about doing something like this, or even just want to know more about yoga than just the physical movement, this teacher training is for you...do it!
The BEST thing about Teacher Training at the Yoga Underground is that you not only increase your knowledge about Ashtanga Yoga, but actually feel confident in your ability to teach a class when you finish! Brittany offers many opportunities to practice teaching the group, to find your voice, and to learn the most optimal sequencing, as you train throughout the month. Learning in the beautiful outdoors, being inspired by multiple guest speakers, and cultivating a greater understanding and appreciation for Yoga, are just some of the bonuses!
Last summer I did yoga teacher training with Brittany at the Yoga Underground and it was one of the best months of my life. I learned so much, not only about yoga, but about life and myself. I went into teacher training not knowing for sure if I really wanted to teach or if it would just be a way for me to improve my practice. Well, my practice inevitably improved, but I also found a LOVE for teaching and spreading the happiness, peace, and physical and mental strength (that comes from yoga) with others. Brittany is one of the most amazing people and teachers that you will ever meet with the biggest heart. She will provide you with the knowledge, confidence, and strength that you need to vastly in improve your yoga practice, as well as your ability to spread all that awesomeness to others through teaching. Your life will absolutely improve by doing yoga teacher training at the Yoga Underground. Definitely recommend it!
I initially chose to do my yoga teacher training at TYU for one reason: I loved Brittany's classes and wanted to be able to share with others what she had shared with me. Now that I've completed the training, there are about a million and a half reasons why I'm glad I did it with TYU and wouldn't change anything even if I could. One of the aspects that sets this training apart is how active you get to be. It's not hours and hours of lectures in a classroom. We were actually outside more than we were inside--hiking, appreciating nature, enjoying the stillness and healing that comes from being surrounded by beauty. Another aspect of this training that is really spectacular, especially when I've spoken with other yoga teacher friends comparing training experiences, is all the one-on-one time with the instructor. The cohorts are small, so signing up for teacher training with Brittany actually means you will be working closely daily with Brittany!
The experience I had doing my training at The Yoga Underground was amazing! Besides gaining an in depth knowledge of yoga, I learned how to be an effective teacher.