Are you a yoga teacher, health care provider, therapist, caregiver, or otherwise lover of making movement accessible to all people? Come learn how to teach Adaptive Yoga with Abigail Atkinson!
Adaptive yoga supports people living with physical trauma, mobility impairment, disability, and older adults.
While an adaptive yoga class looks physically different than a traditional class, the principles of yoga apply across the board. Our community needs teachers and caretakers who can create an environment where yoga is inclusive of everyone, whether they have a traditional yoga practice or not.
In this course you will gain confidence in:
- Adapting standing, seated, inverted, restorative, and floor postures plus sun salutations
- Understanding mobility exercises for promoting walking stability and gait alignment
- Planning, sequencing and teaching an adaptive yoga class
- Creating a safe environment for adaptive yoga adjustments
As a stroke survivor, Abigail understands the frustration of losing and living with different physical abilities. She turned that frustration into learning how to adapt her personal yoga practice to support her recovery. In partnership with health care providers, adaptive yoga helped her regain and strengthen her ability to walk, restore her balance, and improve her vision so she could drive again.
While everyone’s recovery journey is personal and unique, yoga is a tool that can create the self-awareness needed to experience a deeper level of mind-body connection.
Abigail is an E-RYT 200 and RYT 500 with over 1200 teaching hours and 3 years experience teaching adaptive yoga. She received her adaptive yoga certification training under Matthew Sanford, the critically-acclaimed and leading pioneer of adaptive yoga. She also studied biomechanics from Katy Bowman of Nutritious Movement, and incorporates all of these elements in her style of adaptive yoga.
All course participants will
- Experience a complete adaptive yoga class + work with adaptive students
- Receive a Third Edition Adaptive Yoga Manual breaking down postures, updated with additional yoga postures
- Take away 3 Adaptive Yoga sequences premade for immediate use
- Learn techniques to teach the experience of the pose and not just the physical shape
- Obtain individual feedback on planning, sequencing and teaching adaptive yoga
Yoga teachers who attend the course and complete course requirements receive 8 continuing education hours through Yoga Alliance.